For many young children and adults, lacrosse is somewhat of an unfamiliar sport. As the sport continues to grow at a staggering rate, it seems beneficial to enhance your knowledge of the game. Many of us have busy schedules and it is often hard to put family activities on the back burner. I have compiled a few suggestions that will be both beneficial to both your child and yourself.
Although many perceive lacrosse hotbeds only existing in places like Baltimore and Long Island, many tend to forget about lacrosse in New England, which is home to some of the finest Universities and Athletic programs in the country. For most, these places are only within a 15 or 20 minute drive and once you arrive on campus, you’ll find that you won’t be disappointed! Most of the programs listed below are Division 1, 2 ,3 or club. I hope that you can take a few hours this spring and catch the action of one of the fastest growing sports in America.
- Tufts Univeristy, Medford, Massachusetts (Division 3): 2010 national champions, NESCAC Conference, games to watch include Middlebury, Connecticut College and Bowdoin
- Harvard University, Cambridge, Massachusetts (Division 1): Ivy League Conference, games to watch include Princeton, Cornell, Brown
- Bentley College, Waltham, Massachusetts (Division 2): Northeast-10 Conference, games to watch include Merrimack, Le Moyne, Adelphi
- University of Massachusetts, Amherst, Massachusetts (Division 1): Colonial Conference, games to watch include Hofstra, Army, Syracuse, Deleware
- Boston College, Chestnut Hill, Massachusetts (Club): games to watch include Northeastern
- Bryant University, Smithfield, Rhode Island (Division 1): Northeast-10 Conference, games to watch include Army, Dartmouth, Providence
Another New England Lacrosse event worth seeing is the 2011 New England Classic on Saturday, April 16, 2011 @ Gillette Stadium in Foxborough, Massachusetts, where you'll be able to see Syracuse University vs. Providence College AND Princeton University vs. Dartmouth College
I hope you all find this info helpful and will take the time to get out, enjoy, watch and support the great game of lacrosse. I promise this will be a fun event and provide valuable insight for both you and your child.